As the weather begins to get colder, and the inevitability of winter approaches, I tend to find my eating habits changing to adapt to the cold weather. I find myself craving warmer comfort foods in place of my usual salads.I spend most of the winter months craving soup. I usually make a big pot on a Sunday afternoon and spend the rest of the week working my way through it. Soup is always a delicious and healthy meal which never gets dull because there are so many different versions to try.
With that being said, I”m not always in the mood to cook so I’ve also come up with a list of my favourite go-to’s spots to share with you! These places are delicious, have a ton of healthy options, most deliver and you can get a fantastic, filling meal for less than $15!
(these are in no particular order, they’re all delicious!)
- Pho88: This is a recent discovery but I’m sad to say it took this long to try it. Pho 88, as the name suggests, it’s a Thai restaurant serving up delicious fresh Pho and other Thai dishes. The Thai Hot and Sour Soup (pictured above) is my go to here however if spicy isn’t your thing they have more traditional Pho soups as well. A large soup here ranges from $9-$12 which is more than enough for one person.
NOTE: They only take cash or debit, so come prepared
- Nouilles Express: Nouilles Express is a work place discovery that I could not be happier to have made. This little Asian spot right next to Concordia University makes delicious;y indulgent Chinese Food. This isn’t what I would categorize as a “healthy eating spot” however if you stick to the soups you’ll be OK. My favourite here is the Hot and Sour Soup. A large makes a perfect meal and you have the option of adding noodles and chicken to make the dish even more filling.
NOTE: They only take cash here so come prepared
- La Maison VIP: This is one of my favourite Chinese food restaurants in the city. If you haven’t already been, I would highly recommend trying it here. They are also open late which is great if you’re ever looking to pick up food on the weekend after a night out. They have a wide variety of dishes, but only a few soup options however anything you chose is delicious. In my opinion they have the best Hot and Sour soup in the city. It is perfectly spicy and full of veggies, shrimp and tofu. If you don’t eat meat, I would suggest the mushroom egg drop soup which is also one of my favourites.
**No website information here, but they are located in China Town and worth checking out
Address: 1077 Rue Clark, Montréal, QC H2Z 1K3
- Jumak: This little Korean spot opened within the last year. The restaurant has a smaller menu however it provides a full assortment of authentic Korean fare. They have a number of soup options, but I tend to lean towards whatever has the most spice. I recommend the Spicy Seafood soup if you like a kick like I do. When you first get it the red colour of the broth is a bit daunting however the spice is completely manageable and the flavour is perfect.
**No website information available for this restaurant
Address: 5335 Chemin Queen Mary, Montréal, QC H3X 1T9
- Tasty Foods: I know what you’re thinking, this is a pizza place right? Well you’re right but they also have some of the best lentil soup in the city. The soup is thick and hearty here and I’ve had it on more than one occasion as a meal. It isn’t always enough for everyone, but it makes a great starter or if you’re not in the mood for the pizza, they have a great greek salad that rounds off the soup to make a full meal
- Jardins de Peking: You can probably see a trend with my love of Asian flavours. This restaurant is also a local spot for me and I’ve been going here for as long as I can remember. On a cold night (or any night really) the Chop Suey Won Ton soup makes the perfect meal. The soup comes full of veggies, wontons, shrimp and pork. A medium container is more than enough for 2 people and leaves leftovers for the next day. The soup is even better reheated the following day once all of the flavours have had even more time to meld together
**No website information available for this restaurant however they have two locations in Montreal, one in the city and one in Dollard. They also deliver through Just Eat so the online menu is available there
- El Ray Del Taco: I can literally find soup on any menu. El Ray is one of my favourite places to go for authentic Mexican food in Montreal. They have everything from tacos and burritos, to fish and meat dishes. Last time I was there I had the pozole for dinner and it was perfection. Traditionally, a pozole comes with pork however I got mine without any and just topped it with the veggies. The nice thing about El Ray is they also have a small market in their space where they sell hot sauces, homemade tortillas and salsas along with a variety of other traditional fare.
Well now my soup obsession is out in the open. I hope you’ll enjoy some of my favourites as much as I do!