I was chatting with a friend yesterday and after finding out I was no longer eating dairy, she asked me if it was as life changing as everyone says. I told her the same thing I tell everyone- I definitely feel a difference, but I can’t confirm that it was life changing.
What do I mean? I used to get this skin tightening feeling fairly often and couldn’t figure out why, but since cutting out dairy, I don’t have that anymore. I tend to shy away from adjectives that imply life altering or mind blowing changes, so I did also explain that what works for me, won’t necessarily work for everyone.
That conversation inspired my post for today, and a theme I hope to continue with you guys. Welcome to the first ever “This or That” post! Throughout this series, I’m going to pick food questions or eating habits and I’ll go through as many of the pros and cons with you as I can. I’m never going to tell you what to chose, but I’ll give you as much information as possible so you can make your own decisions and do what works best for your body and lifestyle.
Today’s debate- dairy!
Pros of including dairy in your diet
- Dairy includes calcium, vitamin D and potassium which are important for bone health and blood pressure
- Milk is high in protein!
- Eating dairy may help prevent osteoporosis
- The protein in dairy helps you feel more full, which can potentially lessen the desire to snack
Cons of including dairy in your diet
- Many foods that contain dairy (cheese, icecream, pizza) are high in saturated fat. Eating a moderate amount of saturated fat is good for you, but too much leads to weight gain
- Dairy enhances your body’s mucus production which is why people tend to steer clear of it when they’re sick
- Milk can contain the growth hormone IGF-1 which has been linked to certain
If you do decide to eat dairy as a part of your diet, there are still some tips to be mindful of when making your choices
- Try to buy organic or locally farmed dairy products since they contain less additives and chemicals than large factory brands.
- Read ingredients! A lot of dairy substitutes are high in sugar so try to choose unsweetened non-dairy milks where possible
- Quality over quantity! Enjoy that Brie! Indulge in that icecream! But enjoy a high quality version and be aware of the portion size. Just because you’re having a treat, doesn’t mean eat the whole container